Sunday, July 21, 2013

Space Racer X: A fun way to "drill"


One of the things we've learned in Rachel Wannarka's Ed Psych class that's really stuck with me is that facility with the basics is crucial to competence with more advanced material. This is most concretely observable in mathematics - if you know your times tables down to automaticity, you can better tackle algebra or calculus problems.

I think that games can play an important role in building such automaticity. Flash cards are pretty boring, especially doing them by yourself. But a game can accomplish the same task in a much more fun environment. One of the beauties of computers and video games is that they respond to input you provide with new tasks, challenges, or information. It's a constantly evolving interaction that you are crucial to but that you cannot predict.

All of these features are why Dr. Brain was such a great way for me to learn the element symbols. Rather than simply having to come up with symbols, I was forced to think of them and then use them for a purpose, a more involved cognitive process that probably helped to ingrain the material in my memory far more effectively than simple flash cards. Unfortunately, in my search I was unable to find a chemistry game that was similarly engaging and educational. They probably exist, but they're not easy to find! So since I am also getting certified in math, I turned to an area I've actually realized I lack automaticity in - times tables. Honestly, my eighth graders at Scarlett often can outstrip me when we play "speed" with multiplication facts. How embarrassing!

The game I found that might be able to help me out is called Space Racer X. It was the first game I found that was both fun and challenging. The idea is simple. You're a spaceship at the bottom of the screen, and asteroids move towards you. In order to move left or right, you have to solve one of two multiplication problems. Try to go as far as you can without hitting an asteroid!

I like this game's design for several reasons:

  • You have to generate the answer yourself, rather than selecting from a few options as in some other games I tried.
  • There are two problems, and you can't just automatically solve one of them - you have to decide which you need to avoid the asteroids, then solve the right one. This requires similar double-layered thinking as I described in the Dr. Brain example above.
  • The speed is fast enough to be challenging (I exploded several times before getting the hang of it) but not so fast as to be frustrating. It also increases with time so if you find the beginning easy, it will eventually become quite challenging to anyone at any skill level. This provides room for continual improvement rather than stagnation.
  • The problems range nicely in difficulty, spanning the times tables from 1 to 9
  • It's possible to develop strategies to get better at the game, but not to completely ruin the game's challenge. For example, you can learn that always trying to be in the middle while you're waiting for asteroids is much more likely to lead to success. Psst - this means you're actually solving more multiplication problems! Everyone wins!
  • The graphics are pleasing without being distracting.

In fact, in playing this game, I realized I could use some serious multiplication practice. So if you ever see me playing a game in class, know that I am actually learning! (Just kidding - I would never do that!)

I could see this game being quite handy in a high school math class, especially 9th or 10th grade, if you notice your kids are having trouble with their multiplication fluidity. It could be an in class activity or a homework assignment, in which the kids have to screenshot their best score and show it to you. You could even recommend it specifically to a certain kid who seems to struggle with this skill, and ally with him or her in aiming for higher scores. Have him bring his best score to you each week, keep a record of it, and praise him for his progress.

Sometimes, when it comes to learning from games, there's beauty in simplicity!




2 comments:

  1. I recall using a similar program for both multiplication tables and QWERTY on a Tandy 1000 (MS-Dos) many years ago. It seems to me that a great many of the games available back then were educational or instructive in some way. Even games like Oregon Trail were designed to impart some sort of lesson, even if the real thrill of that game was shooting a deer or bison comprised entirely of backslashes and Os.
    I wonder whether there is something about new media that compels the creation of educational material? It seems like in the article we read about radio and television in education, these educational aims grew up in tandem with the new media, and appeared almost simultaneously with them. Perhaps we are always seeking new-fangled ways to learn? Or perhaps there are always people who need to justify new media by demonstrating that it has the power to illuminate, and not just the power to entertain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I think you're right that we sometimes lose sight of the importance of automaticity, such that as adults we often need a calculator or pen and paper to do arithmetic. I had a huge crush on calculus in high school - and yet I froze in class the other day when I had to multiply 0.4 by 0.7 on the spot! (I felt like the people in F.A.T. city - "What's a famous story with a cat?") I am all for games that drill basics, like times tables and verb conjugations - students are way more likely to use than to use flash cards, but they're certainly just as effective!

    ReplyDelete