Monday, July 15, 2013

Evernote: basic, in a good way

I was assigned Evernote to explain to my group. I had a bit of an unfair advantage as I have been teaching myself to use Evernote for the last month as part of my attempt to get organized for the MAC program. My investigation did uncover some aspects of Evernote that I was not previously familiar with, particularly the suite of smart phone apps they have to enhance the functionality of basic Evernote.

For my handout, I chose to provide a broad description of what Evernote is capable of, then specific instructions to achieve installation of the app and the two central functions of Evernote: creating notes and notebooks. I provided representative screencaps to illustrate what Evernote looks like in its most common usage. When one understands how to do these two things in Evernote, the possibilities are pretty much endless.


When I looked into how teachers have recommended using Evernote, I expected to find some sophisticated and unexpected uses for the program. Instead, I mainly found lists of things that you could store in Evernote – lesson plans, short term to do lists, notes from meetings, and so on. And in fact, now that I think about it, it is this flexibility that is Evernote’s strength. It can become anything you need it to be. With a premium account, it can also be a collaborative platform (although I think Google docs is more well-suited for this particular application). Evernote simply helps you to organize your life in any way you see fit – and couldn’t we all use a little more organization in our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment